Assess patient’s understanding and information needs
When assessing patient understanding and information needs, Remember to:
- offer the patient the opportunity to explore diagnosis and prognosis. This will enable advance care planning
- identify any likely complications which may benefit from advance decisions, e.g.
- loss of mental capacity: Mental Capacity Act and Mental Capacity Assessment: Welsh Assembly Government Guidance
- potential for massive haemorrhage
- implantable cardioverter defibrillator: ICD deactivation guidelines
- consider information format, e.g.